littlejellyfish's etsy

Friday, November 12, 2010

ATTACK OF THE KILLER MOMOS

Lately, I have been furiously sewing sock monkeys.  My daughter chose a pink Paul Frank sock monkey to be her favorite buddy shortly after she got him for her first birthday.  She named him ‘Momo’, her word for monkey.  Her little brother’s bedtime buddy is a red version of his older sisters.   There is a deflated blue momo that kind of floats around the house, standing in for any momo that is lost at the time.  We call them all “Momo”.

I have sewed this faded pink monkey back together too many times, it is obvious that his time is running out.  As a former girl scout, I believe in always being prepared and I took the time to educate myself  on the art of momo creation.  Here is the LINK to the instructions I liked best.  The author is funny and forgiving.  I highly recommend you make a sock monkey, and that you use these directions.  I was amazed with how simple it was, I was even able to tweak the pattern to get a replica of momo.  I knocked out a decent  momo in a day.  My mothers old socks became the momo who lives on my bed.  My honey and I like to leave him in funny poses and places for each other to find.  Oh that momo, we say.

That’s when it happened.  We got momo fever.  The kids and I.  They were so amazed to see this momo come to life!  I'm pretty sure they thought I was god for that day, since I was able to create a momo seemingly out of thin air.  So I started digging around my sock drawer and… nothing.  I don’t deserve to be called a pack rat anymore, not with the paltry selection of boring socks in my sock drawer.  Geez, what happened to all my mismatched socks!  I BOUGHT socks soley for the purpose of creating more momos.  These dudes take me hours to make.  I like to make them long and skinny, like the original pink momo that was the inspiration for them all.  I want each to be perfect.  And for what?  For who?  Besides the novelty of finding my 3 year old up at midnight, having a tea party with a gaggle of faceless sock monkeys, what's the purpose?

Maybe I am doing something good.  Momos make my kids REALLY happy.  I have to admit they make me happy too.  They’re just so goofy.  Maybe other kids need momos in their lives too.  I enjoy making them, although they do take way too long to make.  I’ve fantasized about sending hundreds of momos to hospitals, handing them out to the homeless dudes holding up signs at shopping center exits, to anyone who looked like they needed a friend.  I could send momos to starving children in third world countries, to spoiled rich kids who need a simple toy to keep them grounded.  Unfortunately I currently have a day job (mother) and even if I didn’t I don’t think I could make enough momos to heal the world.  Momos are good, but they arent THAT good.  I mean, I've never seen a momo working to cure AIDS or create clean drinking water.

Next best thing, I suppose, momos are now for sale.  I'll be at the craft fair at the Elks Lodge in Sacramento tomorrow.  I just found out about it, gosh good think I just keep 10 or so momos on hand.  You know, just in case.  I wish there was a huge demand for custom momos.  I am a freakin momo master.  I guess what ever doesn't sell will get to attend a few more tea parties with my daughter and the OG momo.

Guess what everyones getting for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment